• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

US ARMY INTELLIGENCE Patch ??????

Doing a custom figure of someone who was in the US Army Intelligence. Did these guys have a generic patch or were there different patches for different units ?

The soldier in question has passed so can't ask them. Anyone got any advice on what to use? He was a captain.

I am going to go out on a limb and speculate without any knowledge whatsoever.

I haven't seen anything on this in the handful of books I own. Seems to me that, if you WERE in an intelligence unit, the last thing you would want to do (or be ALLOWED to do) would be to advertise the fact, or the unit.

You would probably be assigned (another uninformed assumption) to some sort of headquarters unit, be it a corps on up, and then you would have (probably only on dress uniform) the "European Headquarters" patch - there are a couple of variants, and memory says it did appear on a Dragon figure in the past couple of years.

idle speculation - don't shoot me - probably wrong...

I'm doing a figure of a man who was a captain in the US Army Intelligence Corps and spent his time stateside in charge of POW camps. That's about all the info I have on him.

During ww2 Us Military Intelligence officers would have worn the distinctive branch of service device which was a shield (kind of squared off looking) with a sphinx in profile on their collar. As for shoulder flashes I'm inclined to go with Hank's hunch. US military intelligence was formed in the early 1920's and then underwent a big over haul in the early 60's due to the cold war. I think most intell units during ww2 would have been a part of the hq component of various Army Groups.
I did some more surfing and all I could find for shoulder flashes were more modern day.
Tim

I'm fairly certain that in order to determine the correct shoulder patch, you will need to find out how POW camps in the U.S. were administered. The captain in question was almost certainly a staff officer in the intelligence, or perhaps the operations section (if he was in an intelligence battalion of some sort) of a given staff. Therefore, you would need to find the division level or higher unit to which he or his unit were assigned in order to find this out. If you can find this information, I have a book or two with a great many of the division patches from WWII.

If you are really stuck, try contacting one of the Army's museums, West Point, or the Intelligence Corps.

Good hunting!

P.S. Pangaloss is correct - "corps" insignia is worn on the lapel, and doesn't necessarrilly have anything to do with the operational command to which one is assigned. It is more of a professional discipline / MOS sort of thing. The Marines don't make that distinction (Marines are Marines first and foremost, MOS's are a secondary consideration), so my first hand knowledge of how this works is a little sketchy.

Back