• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

South Pacific Assault, Part I

SgtPriceUSMC

Rifleman
My Dad was a longtime member here who went by the name USMCPrice. I've been a member a while, but have mostly been a lurker, never posting much. Back in 2009, Dad enlisted my brother and I to build a battlefield for a huge Pacific theater battle using his collection of 1/6 scale Marines. The battlefield we decided to build was heavily inspired by Tarawa, and was chronicled here in the thread Pacific Assault. Dad and I had been planning another big battle as a way to introduce my eldest boy to this enduring hobby which has been ever-present in our family since my Dad got his first Action Marines, back in 1965. My son, Harrison, was about to turn 10, so we were shooting to do our big war during his Spring Break, which was this last week. Unfortunately, Dad passed away last Halloween. I was really on the fence about going forward with things without him, but, ultimately, I thought there'd be no better way to perpetuate his memory than by passing something he loved to the next generation. I had to bump back the timetable for the main operation, which I'm now planning for June, but I decided to go ahead with a "practice landing" to teach my son some more about how a Marine company operated and how to employ tactics and supporting arms. This post will be the first in a series to share these activities, whose theme is action in the South Pacific in the area of the Solomons Islands.

The Marines of 2nd Squad, Able Company, 21st Marines advance off the beach into the tropical jungle to secure the beachhead for the landing of the second wave.

IMG_1316.jpg

2nd Squad advances up the ridge overlooking the beachhead.

IMG_1291_2.png

The Japanese had hidden two machine gun bunkers with overlapping fields of fire to watch the trails leading up the ridge. Shortly after the photo above, one bunker opened up, and two Marines were hit. The second wave was beginning to land and the Lieutenant (my boy) ordered a light machine gun team employed to answer the bunker's fire while the infantry attempted to pull back.

IMG_1317_2.jpg

The Lieutenant conferred with the 2nd Squad Leader, who asked to try and flank the enemy position. A section from the Engineers' Assault Platoon were attached to help take out the hardened structure. The reinforced fire team prepares to assault the Japanese bunker.

IMG_1318_2.jpg

The Assault Demolition Man tried three times, unsuccessfully, to neutralize the position using satchel charges. On the last attempt, the Japanese managed to throw the charge back out before it detonated, and the Marines took another casualty. Here, a rifleman from 2nd Squad carries his wounded comrade out of harm's way, and back down the ridge and onto the beach, where the aid station can provide life saving care. The wounded Marine survived the battle.

IMG_1319_2.jpg

The flamethrower man comes down from the ridge after giving the Japanese "the Hot Foot."

IMG_1321_2.jpg

Once 3rd Squad made it ashore, the Lieutenant directed them to shore up the center of the platoon's position, and for 2nd Squad to move up and secure the ridgeline on the right, in the area of the neutralized bunker. Meanwhile, the Lieutenant sent 1st Squad, reinforced by an Engineer Assault team, to flank to the left and neutralize the second enemy bunker. Here, the Engineer Assault team moves into thick kunai grass as they follow 1st Squad up the ridge.

IMG_1320_2.jpg

A rare photo of an active Japanese machine gun emplacement. Note: smoke deployed to obscure 1st Squad's advance.

IMG_1322_2.jpg

Last edited:
What a great way to share the hobby with family and remember your Dad. So glad you went forward with it and put it together with your son.
Great pictures and superb story telling. :!:
Looking forward to the next installment.

Thanks! We'll probably do another exercise sometime in the next few weeks, picking up where this one left off. We still need to go over the basics of defensive fighting positions and how to repulse a Banzai attack. Essentials for the jungle warfare in the South Pacific. Here are a few more shots I took. I have been tinkering trying to get a good kodachrome effect. Some of these are edited and others are not. I also got a good shot of the Lieutenant pulling his (1st) squad back from the bunker's kill zone.

Lieutenant Price...the next generation, ready to start the battle. His squad is ready to go on the ground behind him.

IMG_1274_2.jpg

A conveniently placed combat cameraman captured the instant 2nd Squad Marines were engaged by the first enemy machine gun position.

IMG_1292_3.jpg

2nd Squad Marines move into line and return fire.

IMG_1293_2.jpg

The Lieutenant pulls 1st Squad back from the enemy kill zone.

IMG_1294_2.jpg

2nd Squad recovers a wounded engineer as his buddy prepares to torch the enemy position.

IMG_1304_4.jpg

Another shot of the Engineers moving through kunai grass.

IMG_1308_2.jpg

What a great way to pay homage to your late father's hobby and as a measure to ensure his legacy onto your son (hope it takes hold). Love the way you've found terrain similar in style and scale to that which the Marines encountered and the narrative spin you've given the scenes. Thanks for sharing and looking forward to your future installments. Semper fi. Steve

What a great shoot! Super nice to see you carrying on your dad's hobby. It would be amazing if it sticks to your son too!

Back