• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

Rifle grenade bag

I've wondered about this too. In WWI the US had the grenade vest and there were grenade specific bags back then too. But from what I've found, so far, the GP ammo bag was the most common bag used for carrying rifle grenades in WWII.
I can't recall the source any more but I do recall a photo of a Marine I saw who had the grenade launcher mounted on an M1 Carbine. In this instance you could clearly see rifle grenades hung on his back pack. The photo was most likely from Okinawa.
I don't know how accurate it is but in bashes I've done of grenadiers I've used a gas mask bag loaded down with rifle grenades. It seems like something I'd do anyway.

Tim

In my research into US equipment, I have yet to come across a dedicated rifle grenade bag.

I agree with pagaloss... the M1 GP ammo bag seems the most likely choice. It could hold 11 rifle grenades. But it's possible that a rifle grenadier could utilize a Musette bag or even an M2 ammunition vest, usually utilized to carry numerous mortar rounds, to carry a larger amount of rifle grenades.

I too agree with Tim(pangaloss)

But from what I've found, so far, the GP ammo bag was the most common bag used for carrying rifle grenades in WWII.

I don't know how accurate it is but in bashes I've done of grenadiers I've used a gas mask bag loaded down with rifle grenades. It seems like something I'd do anyway.
I think that is quite reasonable and probably was used. Makes sense to me anyway.
I've also seen the knapsack portion of the pack system used. It had an integral strap (used to secure it to the haversack for transport/field transport setup) that was used when carried seperately. You could get a Zeke field transport pack, remove the knapsack, shorten the blanketroll and reattach to the haversack. You would then have a field marching pack and could use the knapsack slung across the body seperately to hold rifle grenades.

I will chime in with GP bag. There was also an open topped bag which was technically for mortar shells that was probably available.

Back