• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

Project - 'Wehrmacht on the move' - Horch Type 1a w/Flak 38 on trailer

SteveKrieg

Company Commander
G'day all,

Attached are pics pertaining to what should be, in relation to the Sd.Kfz 250.1, an easily repaint and detail for another Taowan all-metal model - the Horch Type 1a heavy standard passenger car with the spare tyre in the middle (on both sides) indicative of an early version (later versions had one inset giving a smooth surface on both sides).

I finally found a CHE Flak 38 w/trailer this year (Wartoys.com) which allows me to replicate somewhat a box art for the Tamiya 1/35th Horch and Flak 38 w/trailer and I'm sure I've seen threads on this site of someone doing something very similar...why not, it's a great combo.

I'm saving the Flak 38 w/gun shield from the CHE Flak 38 for another project (replicating an example that is on-show at the Australian War Memorial here in Canberra) and using instead (as a matter of time-saving) a single-barrel Flak 38 that I'd used in the 'Achtung Jabo' dioramas of 2018's ScaleACT however not in a ground role akin 'Saving Ryan's Privates', the crew, ammo and stores will be put inside the vehicle which will be repainted and detailed also with the commander asking a soldat on the side of the road for directions (such is the diorama plan for this one).

The gun will get a bit of a spruce-up paint and detail-wise whilst the trailer will get a base coat of Dunkelgelb and weathering. I'll go that far before I post more. Enjoy, Steve

Attachments

• 170883911.jpg
    170883911.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 59
  • 170883912.jpg
    170883912.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 47
  • 170883914.jpg
    170883914.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 48
The Taowan Auto-Union Horch 108 Type 1a heavy personnel car is akin other Taowan all-metal models in this larger scale - mainly that they are heavier than required (the solid rubber wheels add considerable weight) and they are spartan in terms of detail. I didn't mind the three-tone camo pattern however feel I can do better which is why I've decided to repaint in the 'blank canvas' of dunkelgelb to both vehicle and Sd.Ah.51 transport trailer for the Flak 38. Whilst I plan to leave the trailer in its basecoat albeit with weathering and detail, the Horch will receive a new camo pattern before the application of weathering/detail and markings. Enjoy, Steve

Attachments

• 170885982.jpg
    170885982.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 42
  • 170885981.jpg
    170885981.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 41
G'day all,

I've finally found the time to finish this one however, as of last week, the annual model show for which this year's series of projects was geared has been COVID-cancelled. Whilst a bit of a set-back, I'll push on regardless so that at least I'll have them ready for next year (to augment a separate series for the 2021 model show to be titled 'Wehrmacht Firepower')...double the bang - so to speak - for their buck.

The TAOWAN Horch has gone thru, like other TAOWAN models, a series of scratch-build add-ons which, in this case, include rifle stays, dyed tarp (the orange-looking one that comes with the model somewhat an eyesore), exhaust pipe, ditching tools and their brackets.

Attachments

• 171006361.jpg
    171006361.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 24
  • 171006362.jpg
    171006362.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 171006363.jpg
    171006363.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 171006364.jpg
    171006364.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 171006365.jpg
    171006365.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 21
Originally inspired by the Tamiya 1/35th boxart of a Type 1a towing a Flak 38 on its trailer, I decided to pose with more 'action', that of the crew not sitting inside and on the move but the gun on its trailer being moved toward the vehicle for hitching-up for a redeployment elsewhere, the crew hastily pushing/pulling it into position to be hooked-up.

Attachments

• 171006366.jpg
    171006366.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 171006367.jpg
    171006367.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 171006368.jpg
    171006368.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 22
  • 171006369.jpg
    171006369.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 24
  • 171006370.jpg
    171006370.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 27
Over the period of what is normally the model show weekend, I will post pictures of the model on a better diorama base (that which I would set-up on that weekend) and post on their group's Farcebook page; then packed-away 'til November next year's show (fingers crossed).

With the idea now of combining Wehrmacht Mobility with Wehrmacht Firepower, I plan to alternate the builds for both. With that in-mind, my first 'cab off the rank' for next year will provide the break in vehicle models (as it was to be the all-metal Kubelwagen - seen to the rear of the last pic).

The CHE PAK38 will be repainted in dunkelgrau, white-wash and worn to represent a gun on the Ostfront whilst the 21st Century Toys PAK40 in dunkelgelb and green/brown camo'd representing Normandy front where most of the Allied tank casualties were incurred more-so by well-placed German A/T guns than Panzers. On display, they'll both have crew and ammo in applicable uniforms. I've been itching to do up one of my PAK40s for years (at least I hope that's why I've been itching?) having got three that I purchased back in the '90s and two from a mate of mine now unfortunately deceased and it's to him that I'll dedicate this particular model to during show. More to follow, cheers, Steve.

Attachments

• 171006371.jpg
    171006371.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 38
  • 171009507.jpg
    171009507.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 33
One more thing, forgot to add that, as part of the rebuild, I also added anti-slip matting to the rear passenger area and rent bent some of the canopy frame in order to replicate the canopy in open position. The tow cable and hooks were an afterthought but, I think, worked well given the width for the vehicle. I was going to cover the rear storage area with a hinged compartment for the door windows but, on research, found that vehicles were produced with and without such (common also to the Type 40 which was a later variant of the Type 1a that, like most things produced by the Germans during the war as it progressed, was increasingly geared towards saving on materials and ease of manufacture). Cheers, Steve

Very nice. I did something similar based on the same Tamiya images. Amazing how many of our projects are inspired by those great Tamiya images!

400131114.jpg

Last edited:
ha, classic Eduardo and I do recall your fine post covering the Type 1a/Flak 38 combo (which was inspirational also). I did initially think along the same lines as you (therefore in-keeping with the Tamiya box art) but was swayed by two things -
1. the coupling between the TAOWAN Horch and the CHE Flak38 trailer did not match without major reworking of the vehicle's tow bar, and
2. I was partially inspired by the culminating scene in 'Saving Ryan's privates' in having the trailer being moved around by its crew which also allowed for more of the vehicle's interior stowage to be seen.

Cheers, Steve

Back