• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

Project - 'Wehrmacht Firepower' - "Puppchen"

SteveKrieg

Company Commander
G'day all,

I wasn't going to post anymore 'til the new year but I found half an hour today to complete my CHE 8.8cm Racketenwerfer (Rocket launcher) 43. Known as the "Puppchen" ("Dolly"), this weapon combined a Panzerschreck with closed breech block with a lightweight carriage and came as a result of a request by the infantry who found that the anti-tank guns, by 1943, were getting too heavy to man-handle around the battlefield with ease especially given many units were increasingly foot-bound as the means to transport them declined considerably.

By having a closed sliding block pattern breech and a front/rear sighting system, the weapon had twice the range and accuracy of the basic shoulder-fired Panzershreck. With the ability to have its wheels easily removed, the weapon could also produce a low profile (sitting on its trailer) making it ideal for siting in an ambush position.

DML produced a variant with sleds accompanied by the 'Wolfgang Knaf' figure (representing Ostfront) whilst CHE produced this one (with 'Pieter Holbein) with wheels. I was in two-minds about which one to do up for the over-arching firepower project and, time permitting, I might detail the DML variant and have them both side-by-side but that also depends on how much table space I have left. Crew figures to follow.

I learned during the research stages that the rocket used was shorter by 7inches and because of the closed-breech had a short cartridge cased tail drum (note the two models erroneously come with stock-standard Panzerschreck ammo) so it was fun to cutdown a couple of the stock-standards and turn them specifically into that used by the "Puppchen". Enjoy, and I hope everyone's festive season is both rewarding and joyous, Steve

Attachments

• 171298382.jpg
    171298382.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 33
  • 171298383.jpg
    171298383.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 171298384.jpg
    171298384.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 24
  • 171298385.jpg
    171298385.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 22
  • 171298387.jpg
    171298387.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 29
I have the Dragon kit, and have enjoyed building it so that the breech operates with the handle. Along with being shorter, the ammo is marked "4312" instead of "4322" on the stock ammo. An ebay seller has 1/6 decals for 4322, and I messaged him to ask if he would produce a set saying 4312 instead. No response from him. The Dragon kit comes with skis instead of wheels, so I mounted the stock wheels from the 1/6 Nebelwerfer, (I had changed these for the aftermarket ones that come with the extra aluminum rockets, so they were leftovers). Although they are NOT the correct wheels for the Puppchen, they are all I have available, and I am happy with it. One question I have not been able to find an answer to is how the conical metal piece at the end of the barrel is mounted. Museum pieces are seen with it flush with the end of the barrel, as well as having the base of it (where the clamp is) at the end of the barrel. If the purpose of it is either to protect the crew from the back blast of the rocket, OR if it is intended to act as a flash hider when viewed from the side; it seems to me that either purpose would be better accomplished if it were mounted as far out on the barrel as possible. That's how I mounted mine, but I have no idea if it's correct.

G'day 'sassgrunt',

Yes, the DML variant comes with skis for winter towing however if you are perturbed by whether or not you want it ski'd or wheeled, another option is to have it displayed with neither as it was not uncommon to ditch the means of mobility and have it resting on its carriage (the many grab-handles lend to the idea that it was easier shift around the battlefield by an able crew and also to the fact it was lightweight).

The ammo marking '4312' is correct and I'll probably end up just writing mine on with a 'Sharpie'. You are correct also in your identification of the flash hider at the barrel's fore, that and the closed breech gave some recoil to the weapon however the carriage did provide better stability (hence improved accuracy) to the weapon over the shoulder-fired variant (Panzerschreck). Please feel free to post some pics of yours (big thumbs up). cheers, Steve

Back