• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

Project - 'Wehrmacht Firepower' - Goliath awaits

SteveKrieg

Company Commander
G'day all,

Just a quick one (and probably seemingly mundane when compared to some of the great vehicle work posted recently). As part of next year's diorama series - one will encompass Wehrmacht mobility and firepower in one by combining DML CHE's Sd.Kfz 302 tracked light demolition charge (known as 'Goliath') towed via its special trailer behind a CHE Kettenkrad. By showcasing two of the German Army's more unusual vehicles paired, it should provide a nice double-act in 1/6th scale. Another 'Goliath' being unloaded from its trailer (trailers courtesy of 'Fields of Armor') and one being made ready; the entire scene will come under the title 'Goliath awaits').

The CHE variant comes in dark grey so the first thing was to first remove the track (which I could only do by gingerly removing the drive sprockets), dust them down and apply a Citadel paints 'black' as an undercoat and then Tamiya dark yellow spray. I used the black also on the track.

I intend to now add some slight wear and tear (these vehicles weren't around long enough I suspect to gain too much), green camo-striping, white striped down the rear (which aided the R/C operator to ensure it was going away and no towards him) and then put the track back on and then glue the sprockets back in-place - they should no doubt be one of the easiest repaint/detailing jobs I've done to date on a vehicle.

For the remote control box and the tethered multi-colour twisted cabling, a bit or research then replicate in terms of colours required. More to follow - Enjoy, Steve

Attachments

• 171035862.jpg
    171035862.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 52
  • 171035863.jpg
    171035863.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 36
  • 171035864.jpg
    171035864.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 41
Looking good. I thought the control box was made out of the bakelite case from the feldfernsprecher 33 fieldphone. Anyone know about this?

Attached is a pic of a surviving example of a control box for the 'Goliath' which I intend to replicate on the models (which are just grey boxes with little detail). Unsure about whether or not it's based on the field telephone - the control box appears too narrow when compared. Cheers, Steve

Attachments

• 171038238.jpg
    171038238.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 28
Hmm, now I’m curious. The strap clearly uses a similar attachment system as the fieldphone strap. You can also see that the control line is on a kabeltrommel like the fieldphone wire is spooled on. But I do agree, the box looks off in comparison to the FF33.
03-D3-ECF6-E32-A-402-A-9-E3-D-41-A50502-CFA4.jpg

I found this picture (here).

I thought I'd put the theory of whether or not the Goliath control box uses the casing of the Field phone FF33 today by placing them alongside each other (albeit in 1/6th) and though there are similarities in length (the FF33 sort of tapers towards the bottom though), the length and width are indeed similar though I can't find anything (to-date) to confirm whether or not the cases were used?. Is a very interesting possibility though. Cheers, Steve

Attachments

• 171046752.jpg
    171046752.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 171046757.jpg
    171046757.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 18
I've also realised that in my earlier pic the track is on arse-backwards...no fear though as the front driving wheels are yet to be re-affixed (that'll be the last step after detailing the body and re-fitting of track). Hopefully I'll have these three 'Beetles' finished over the w/end - pics to follow - Cheers, Steve

I thought the same thing but when I went looking I saw the tracks both directions. I’m sure there was a right way but apparently it worked either.

Firstly: what I’ve noticed more.

Secondly: the way I always thought tracks went.

Steve,
I also have one of these from CHE that I wanted to repaint. Do the drive sprockets simply pull off?
Bob

Classic images (the U.S. Navy pic is from a short film showing one of the ratings sitting inside the chassis and driving around the beach ('UTAH' I think) and can be viewed on YouTube. And yes, from all the pics I've been pouring over to ascertain detail I have also noticed differing track orientation so - as you've alluded - I guess there is no right or wrong as such.

Bob, the drive sprockets come off with a slight bit of plier pull. It's the only one I found to get the tracks off without having to 'break track' given they are somewhat flimsy. Gluing the sprockets back on will be the last act in completing them.

Cheers, Steve

G'day all,

With the Goliaths now complete (save for some finer detailing), I've spent the past three days in-part putting together two resin/metal trailers (courtesy of 'Field of Armor).

Despite some to-be-expected frustration, mainly from the fact one of the trailers was problematic in production (more on that later), they went together nicely and have come up even nicer once painted.

One of the trailers (which I'll call 'Jinxy') gave me no end of issues with the legs. Firstly because one was a bit fragile at the join and had to be 'banded' to strengthen it in-place and the second leg soon followed suit after the model was inadvertently dropped causing the leg to snap off (clean break fortunately). The far trailer shows the banding and though it sticks out a tad it was the best I could do in order to provide the support strength required (via plastic tubing).

Once the trailers are weathered/detailed some and photos of them taken laden with their tracked-charge cargo I'll put them away and get pack to the PAKs. I plan to have one trailer in-tow behind a kit-form DML Kettenkrad (one I've had for a few years and have been keen to do rather than use prebuilds) and the second will be in a position to illustrate how the Goliaths were off-loaded...more to follow, enjoy, Steve

Attachments

• 171078465.jpg
    171078465.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 24
  • 171078466.jpg
    171078466.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 171078468.jpg
    171078468.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 171078471.jpg
    171078471.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 171078474.jpg
    171078474.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 29
G'day all,

Just a quick one on the Goliath scene. All three charges (CHE) and the two trailers (FOA) are complete. The plan is to have one in-tow by a Kettenkrad, the one seen here is a CHE pre-build from an older project however I plan to put together a DML kit-form 'Krad that's been gathering dust on my shelf for far too long and use that instead of breaking open another pre-build (the kit-form allowing better access to wheel detailing).

The second Goliath/trailer combo will illustrate the unloading process whilst the third Goliath will have cable coming out the rear and an operator at the controls to illustrate how it was driven. As with all the sub-projects to 'Wehrmacht Firepower', I'm doing up all the hardware first and then all the figures (in their various forms of dress) will be assembled in one lot. The final stage is posing both the hardware and the figures for the scene.

Hope everyone is travelling well?

Enjoy, Steve

Attachments

• 171107723.jpg
    171107723.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 29
  • 171107724.jpg
    171107724.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 30
Thankyou very much 'Kapernakis', I've had these diminutive 'vehicles' on my shelf for a few years now and was inspired largely by FOA's kit-form trailer thinking both would go very nicely together. Whilst there's not too much to them in terms of wear/tear (given they only really had one use and that was to blow up something). Cheers, Steve

G'day all,

Just another quick one on the 'Goliath' scene. I'm now well into the DML Kit-form model of their 1/6th Kettenkraftrad which, so far, has been an enjoyable build. Despite having several pre-assembles of their 'Krad, I chose the kit-form (which will be used to tow one of the Goliath trailers) over the pre-assembled largely because the kit-form has been sitting on my shelf for years - bought rather cheaply second-hand - and thought now was the time to build it. The kit-form variant also offers up another great advantage over the pre-build in that it'll be much easier to weather/detail the track areas prior to putting it all together rather than trying to tackle the area already assembled.

One thing lacking on the kit-form as opposed to the pre-build is the engine but no big deal given I plan to put a stowage rack w/MG42 AA mount (one of the CHE 'Krad accessory sets) atop the engine cover and with a figure planned for the drivers seat there shouldn't be no real problems with having to display the empty engine bay. I've currently got a mate working on 3d printing a scratch-build exhaust system for the rear (another part of the vehicle lacking on both kit-form and pre-build). Enjoy, Steve

Attachments

• 171182425.jpg
    171182425.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 29
  • 171182426.jpg
    171182426.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 26
Cheers muchly, here's some progress pics. I've decided to use the stowage rack fm CHE 'Krad upgrade kit 2 which consists of a rack designed to hold ammo containers for the MG42 AA mount (which could also be used in a ground role no doubt). The rear chair facing in, from research, was utilised more-so but not always for the comms line-laying variant so I'm in two minds at the moment about using it for this model. The stowage tray will hold the ammunition containers as well as a saddle-drum and an amount of pers gear (such is the plan). For the number plate, I decided to use my regimental number (an army throw-back).

I'm sure there's no need to explain to this group the need for detailing track and how important that is on a 1/6th scale vehicle model, suffice to say it's a fun process given the size of the diminutive 'Krad when compared to larger tracked vehicles. Note that I've yet to permanently affix the major components to the body which I'll only do once I've weathered/detailed each piece; one of the luxuries of the kit-form variant when compared to the pre-build. More pics to follow as I should be nearing completion over the next week or so. Enjoy, Steve

Attachments

• 171200908.jpg
    171200908.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 171200909.jpg
    171200909.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 171200910.jpg
    171200910.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 19
  • 171200912.jpg
    171200912.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 23
Last edited by a moderator:
Looks awesome Steve!!! I have yet to start my DML Kett, I got the communications upgrade set so I can use it with my Funkers. Not sure what you have for time, but if interested I have a set of Panzerwerks running gear and tracklinks for the kett, you could build yourself a "Springer"...I think that's what it's called, to go with your display to really put it over the top!!! :rock:

Thanks again for the kind words, as for the 'Springer' (demolition vehicle)...whilst enticing I imagine it would require a bit more work in terms of the body assembly and such?. Thanks muchly for the offer though. I also have a comms variant of the 'Krad (CHE) which will form part of the display next year...in two minds though if I should repaint or leave as is (with some slight wear/tear added) given it's already in three-tone camo?. Cheers, Steve

Back