• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

Marine Uniforms

Rolling Thunder Tech

Company Commander
Hi

I am not as familiar with the WWII U.S. Marines in the Pacific. Were the "Duck" multi pattern uniforms used in conjunction with the more standard single tone uniforms which had the sorta duck cloth pattern on the helmets.

Would there be occassions where troops with both types of uniforms would mix in the field?

I realize that this is a broad question and appreciate any help.
Thanks

Leonard
RTT

I believe the camo duck pattern was first used at Tarawa and after that I have seen some pictures of camo shirt and standard herringbone pants. I think you will find a mix of the green herringbone utilities on some soldiers and some with camo and still some with part camo and part non camo. The camo helmet cover is pretty much a trade mark of the Pacific Theater Marines whether they used camo uniform or not..

I'm sure some of the PTO guys will pipe up soon with more accurate info..

The answer is yes, it was common to mix the camo utilities with the non camo utility uniform. It was also not uncommon to see the khaki service shirt worn with the camo or sage green utility trousers. The mixing of the uniform was as often as not the result of shortages of a particular piece or size, when they were issued. Once the helmet cover was introduced it was fairly ubiquitous. The one exception I can think of is Guam. If you look at pictures of that battle you'll notice many of the Marines are not wearing helmet covers.
duck pattern was first used at Tarawa
Actually the first large scale use of the camo uniform by regular troops (as opposed to Raiders) was at Bougainville. The one piece U.S. Army camo coverall (called the jungle suit) had seen some use by support troops, mainly artillery, prior to the adoption of the Marine Corps two piece reversable camo uniform. The camo uniform was reversable with a green dominant side and a brown dominant side. The only no-no is to mix the green side and brown side camo. The uniform, helmet cover, shelter half/bedroll and poncho should all have the same side out.

Hope this helps.

It's also important to remember that Marine uniforms in the PTO evolved in much the same fashion as Army uniforms in Europe. What you depict is somewhat specific to time and place.

Back