• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

M1928 Thompson Question

ActionMan

Battalion Commander
I'm curious - the Thompson M1928 had a removable butt stock so it could be used so:

1928_3.jpg

Does anyone know if this configuration, i.e. without the stock, was much used in action?

The M1A1 also had removable stock. I think may be also the M1921, M1927, pretty much all of them. The M1928 was issued early on in the war. It was also given in Lend Lease Act, so the Brits and Commonwalth had plenty of them too. I know the Alamo Scouts used them in the jungle without the stock for sure. I'd imagine Brit. Commandos may have found removing the stock for their missions useful but I don't actually know of an historic example nor seen photo proof.

The Thompson had a bad habit of "climbing" when fired so accuracy was a problem.

This happened even with the butt stock jammed into your shoulder or pressed into your hip side. Without the butt stock you are just cutting down trees or scaring little furry creatures.

The guns without the butt stock were used that way, usually only in heavy jungle or in tight vehicle spaces.

TTT

Not sure, but its possible boarding parties used them without the stock to fight in real close quarters.

I have seen pics of Paratroopers and tankers using them as such. Will have to dig thru what I have for any samples.

Back