• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

Fallschirmjäger Medic Question

1stlooey

Platoon Leader
Hey guys!

I've gotten it in to my noggin to make a Fallschirmjäger medic to take care of my troops. Specifically I am asking about the medic's equipment a FJ would have carried. Do you have anything to add to my info below?

Here's what I have so far:

* Some forum somewhere said that FJ medics used a specially designed cloth bag to carry their supplies, not the usual Army leather belt bags.

* I have seen a brief shot of a FJ medic in a German newsreel, and he is wearing the red cross "smock" over his Fallschirmjäger smock.

* I have seen 1:1 reproduction FJ medic helmet for sale. They show a red cross in a white circle on the front of the helmet only.

* In the back of my head, I remember reading that German medics might carry a sidearm. How about a PPK?

* I found a picture of a Luftwaffe, but not FJ, medic on a collector's site. It showed a mannequin with a Luftwaffe uniform, red cross arm band, one leather medic's pouch, and on the other side a standard issue German bread bag on the front of his belt with a red cross painted on it.

Hi,

I've got a picture of a surrending FJ's medics in 1945 "Hitler's sky warriors" from C Ailsby.

One is wearing the standard leather pouches. The others only have the LW belt. They had a red cross on an arm band, their helmets seems not to have a red cross.
I'll scan this pictures later today.
Hope this help.

You can also look at this pictures, i took las year in M De TREZ musuem in Normandy.
http://www.sixtharmygroup.com/portal/viewtopic.php?t=11796

For the side arm, i read it also.
For the collar insignias you will use the blue ones for the medical troops or the yellow ones ?

Here is a shot of one my FJ's project.

Thanks for that, Tuche. I'd love to see the photo you're talking about, too.

I'm guessing the bag over the right shoulder in the reference photo from the Norman museum must be the Luftwaffe medic's bag?

dscf0118.jpg

I wouldn't add a red cross to the helmet. While there seem to been some artifact helmets with such treatment, these are exceeding rare and totally absnt in period photos.

The red cross vest is appropriate but seems to be unique to the western front from D-Day forward.

There is indeed a FJ medic's bag and i do have pictures somewhere, but I suspect that the standard leather medic's pouches would have been used.

The blue gray bag carried from a shoulder strap is actually a carrying pouch for the standard MG ammo box. These ammo boxes often ended up in medic's use and could be marked with a red cross
or the word "Verbandkasten". Another angle of this photo shows the latter on the ammo box beside him.

HTH,
Ron Volstad

FJ Medics

1stLooey - there is a member of the 6th Division, Christoph, who is also one of the admins at Axis History Forum. He seems very knowledgeable about medics and is very passionate about them.

In fact, he brought to light that medics never wore white-painted helmets unless they were being held in captivity and (IMO) put to rest the medics never carried sidearms debate.

I don't know if he's a member here, but his handle at Axis History Forum is Chrito, IIRC. He even had a website, but I don't think it's up right now.

Fallschirmjäger Medic Question Fallschirmjäger Medic cuesti

Tuche";p="113615 said:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

.... :lol: A nun between the American soldiers.? ..... She will be this one nun, a nurse? ..... :!:

Yes medics are allowed to carry side arms under the Geneva Convension. They were allowed to carry them for self protection and protection of their wounded. German medics also carried a bayonet as well it could be used as a splint in the event nothing else was available. As for red cross armbands, aprons, and crosses on their helmets very seldom seen on the eastern front as the Russians didn't respect the the non combatancy of the medics they were targets like any other german soldier. And the red cross emblems made them easy targets... sot of like standing up and saying shoot me. The western front was the opposit the allies did respect the no targeting of medics allbeit medics were killed in the line of duty but not singled out

There was a good debate on Sixth Division regarding the medics, their rights to wear arms and so forth a few years ago, the post might still be around. I would try to check it out, some good reading, and good references.
As far as sidearms goes, they (as in medics in general) where not supposed to use them, US medics did to an extent, depending on theatre, but in general where not supposed to. It all came down to what card they where carrying or their role on the battle field. Pzrwests comment is a bit missleading, and not totally correct. Make sure to check your sources please.
German medics on the Eastern front where armed, rather frequently, because of the general harsh enviroment, as far as I understand, and pure FJ medics, not to be confused with other kinds of LW troops, did absolutely use weapons, and where expected to be paratroopers first hand, and medics secondarely. Most of the paratroopers had a pistol, in addition to other weapons.
In the german army there is a distiction between medical personel and orderlies. This is a rather large subject of its own, and would deserv its on thread.
One more thing to remember, is that the FJs role on the battlefield changed several times during WWII, and also their organisation, with army and paramilitary/police traditions brought in to an airforce.

Thanks for the reply Ron :!:

Ed, what theatre/time period are you looking to do? Chrito/Christoph is the man to contact for German medic info, he helped me out a lot with mine years ago. In addition to the Axis history forum check out his web site http://www.wwiidaybyday.com/ It's in German so you'll need a translator, but he has a section specific to German medics that is very cool :!:

Back