• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

A Canadian "Westie" captain, Monte Cassino, 1944.

Ortona

Marksman
I promoted my Princess Louise Fusilier "scavenger" private, seen here earlier, to a captain of the Westminster Regiment, or to the "Westies", as they called themselves, one of three motorized infantry regiments assigned to the 5th Canadian Infantry Division. The other two were the Perth Regiment and the Cape Breton Highlanders. Regiments in the 5th CAD had unique insignia prior to July, 1944. An abbreviated version of the regiment's named was sewn - in this case "WESTMR.R" - on the divisional or formation patch, a maroon rectangle, and a "Canada" patch was sewn above where the regimental patch would normally be. In July, separate regimental patches containing the unit's full name replaced the Canada patch, and the divisional patch reverted to a plain, solid maroon rectangle.

0 by Stephen Duffy, on Flickr

0-1 by Stephen Duffy, on Flickr

0-2 by Stephen Duffy, on Flickr

0-3 by Stephen Duffy, on Flickr

0-4 by Stephen Duffy, on Flickr

Anyway, the webbing was painted in Vallejo's "Khaki Grey", not to simulate blanco, but to make a more natural raw webbing color. Blanco was rare with Canadian units in the field.

Prior to his promotion and transfer, "Westie" is shown with the Princess Louise Fusiliers, a heavy weapons support battalion. He wears the new post July, 1944 insignia for his unit. Note that since the units patch does not contain the word "Canada", he retains the separate Canada flash.

0-7 by Stephen Duffy, on Flickr

Another member of the PLF, Sergeant Lee "Hollywood" Marvin:

0-14 by Stephen Duffy, on Flickr

Another Fusilier, in full kit, creeping around the Cassino Abbey:

0-5 by Stephen Duffy, on Flickr

This Cape Breton Highlander's regimental patch contains the word Canada, so his unit does not require a Canada flash:

0-10 by Stephen Duffy, on Flickr

Very nice. My family are from Atina, just up the road from Cassino, so it's always nice to see the area represented

Back