• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

Styrian Gaiters

Sixty Driver

Administrator
SS use of the Styrian gaiter has been discussed many times and without splitting hairs the consensus is that this was done on a very very limited basis. I am curious about the use of these gaiters in Heer formations. I believe you mentioned elsewhere that some Hochgebirgsjager used them. If that's the case was it on a limited basis similar to the SS or were they used on a broader scale?

Sixty Driver";p="16026 said:
SS use of the Styrian gaiter has been discussed many times and without splitting hairs the consensus is that this was done on a very very limited basis. I am curious about the use of these gaiters in Heer formations. I believe you mentioned elsewhere that some Hochgebirgsjager used them. If that's the case was it on a limited basis similar to the SS or were they used on a broader scale?

Grüß Gott Bergkameraden,

Your consensus about the Styrian Gamaschen (gaiter) is correct. They were issued on a very limited basis. The Handschar Division is the the only unit that I know of that had wide-spread issued these type of Gamaschen. I have not seen any photos of Prinz Eugen or Nord Gebirgsjägers wearing them.

On the Heer side of the Wehrmacht, I have only seen them being worn by Gebirgsjägers going through the Heeresbergführer course, or who are part of a Hochgebirgsjäger Batallion, or by Officers (they can wear anything!!! :) ) I believe that the Styrian Gamaschen were considered as a specialty item that was used for high Alpine mountaineering. So it would have limited issue.

Most people don't know about Hochgebirgstruppe. You have standard Gebirgstruppe who are skilled in mountain and winter warfare...they can climb, ski, etc. Then you have the Hochgebirgstruppe (High Alpine Mountain Troops) who are the most skilled mountaineers and can handle extreme mountaineering. These Hochgebirgsjäger Battalions (No. 1 - 4) were independent units and fought in areas like the Caucasus Mountains (Mount Elbrus - over 16,000 feet)in Russia; the Abruzzi, Apennine, and Dolomiti Mountains in Italy; and the French Alps (Mount Blanc - also over 16,000 ft.). And even within a Hochgebirgsjäger unit, you'll find everyone wearing something different. As with most mountaineers, they are very picky about what gear the they have and what kind of clothing they wear.

Here is an original Heer issue Styrian Gamaschen from my collection:
styriangaiters010lz.jpg

Here are a couple of Gebirgsjägers getting ready to go skiing. The NCO on the right is wearing the Styrian Gamaschen. Notice the Reindeer mittens being worn by the other Gebirgsjäger. Those would have been purchased in Norway or Finland:
gjalps017uc.jpg

Hope that answers your question. Please post if you have more questions.

Mit einem kameradschaftlichen Horrido!

Thanks for the info Patrick! Now your picture opens up another can o'worms which will probably cause me all sorts of stress....how common were mittens such as those shown in the pics? That would make for a very fun bit of detail on a figure I've been working up in my mind.

Servus Sixty Driver und Bergkameraden,

Don't tell me you knit in 1/6th scale too!!!! :shock: :shock:

Well here is a great painting of General Dietl...don't look at his hands! :)

reindeermittensweb8sj.jpg

Happy knitting und Horrido!

PS...if you knit a pair...knit a second pair for me! I'll post some 1/1 scale mittens later this evening.

Back