• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

PTO Artillery question

PolishandProud

Marksman
Hey guys,
I have a (dumb) question about arty crews during ww2. If the enemy gets too close, would a gun crew be armed with rifles and pistols, or would there just be infantry guys left in the rear to protect the artillery? My reason for asking is that my great uncle was on a 155 in the Pacific, and he passed away long before I could ask him anything, and I'm just curious. I also do reenacting, and I'm thinking about attempting a first person character impression of him.

Jacob,

Artillerymen are usually armed with carbines and pistols (as rank dictates) and can serve as infantry if need be (i.e. position being overrun, etc.).

USMC/US Army Artillerymen would generally have M-1 Carbines as standard issue weapons from 1942 on; though early in the war they would have had Springfields. M-1 Garands, Thompsons, and Grease Guns could also be seen I'm sure - but the M-1 Carbine was developed specifically as a weapon for support troops, NCOs, and Officers that gave greater range than the Thompson or the M-1911 pistol (with the .45 ACP round) without the full hassle of carrying the M-1 Garand or a Springfield, etc.

Hope this helps!

Fred

Well as not a Gun guy but infantry was always attached to Artillery.
Close to both Artillery and Armor.
Any help?
Especially Armor.
Have to remember that not many Armored personal carriers around then to transport the troops.
But most were pretty close to both branches.

Thanks for the info, guys. My great uncle was a corporal, so a M-1 carbine would make sense. Now if I could just find a 155mm........... :wink:

I think an M-1 carbine would be an excellent choice for a kitbash of your great uncle. Please post photos when you've finished him!

BTW: Hasbro made a US 155 mm gun:

Amazon.com - Hasbro 155 mm artillery gun

I'd check eBay for one if you are serious about it. Also, I think JC had one advertised for sale several months ago - you might PM him to see if he still has one.

Hope this helps!

Fred

Thanks, Fred. I actually used to have one of those when I was younger. I guess I'll have to check and see if its still kicking around in the attic.

I've got another question on this. Chevrons. Would it be more common to have them sewn onto hbts, or what?

Rank (or any other insignia for that matter) was rarely worn on HBTs, though it was a bit more common in rear areas, (which an artillery position could be considered.) When rank was worn on HBTs, most pics of Army or Marine NCOs that I've seen seem to show chevrons that were inked on.

Rank (or any other insignia for that matter) was rarely worn on HBTs, though it was a bit more common in rear areas, (which an artillery position could be considered.) When rank was worn on HBTs, most pics of Army or Marine NCOs that I've seen seem to show chevrons that were inked on.

Many NCOs added chevrons with india ink, while others had unit "artists" cut stencils and spray painted them on their HBTs. Of course, in forward positions no NCO wanted to advertise himself to the enemy snipers!

Yeah, I figured as much about not wanting to advertise. My great uncle told a story about a replacement officer who wouldn't listen about taking the bars off of his helmet. He didn't last a day. I guess I'll be leaving stripes off this one, then.

I agree with the others and their input.
1. Remember, every Marine, no matter what he does, starts off as a rifleman. Even crews of large artillery pieces knew how to use a rifle.

2. Combat in the Pacific was fought in very close quarters, Japanese snipers in rear areas were common. Hence overt display of rank was a bad idea. Unfortunately wearing a pistol or carrying a map case or binoculars also made one stand out. But in some cases that might be hard to avoid.

3. Also common was night time infiltration. Most nights a few Japanese,often armed only with a bayonet would try to sneak as far into the lines as they could. Their main mission was to take out who ever they could if they could, while demoralizing and exhausting the enemy. So troops in a 155 Gun pit had to be alert for night time visitors every bit as much as the guys up front.

4. The 155s are larger guns and would usually be back quite a bit, so they would likely have riflemen from the HQ company acting as security.

5. Loading and firing 155's and other larger guns in 115 degree heat is pretty exhausting. A lot of the photos you'll find as you search, you'll notice the guys shirtless, sometimes even wearing cut off trousers. Obviously that's going to be tough to show if you're re enacting. So you're probably going to go for a more garrison look. In that case stencilled stripes will be ok, and get the appropriate cover, Daisy Mae style or a billed cap. Also if you can lay your hands on a pith helmet, that would be very accurate.

That pretty much sums up all my reading knowledge, maybe some more of our Marine vets can add extra details.

Tim

Thanks for everyone's input. Tim, you have some good points, and I'm assuming that the same would be correct for US Army? My great uncle was army artillery.

The Army in the Pacific faced the same challenges as the Marines. In both Eugene Sledge's book and Bob Leckie's book (the two on which the HBO series "The Pacific" is based) They mention earning respect for the doggies.
The Army and the Marines differed in tactics and in general human make up. Marines tended to be younger and Marine draftees were very rare. But the Japanese didn't differentiate ,they killed Marines and Soldiers with out distinction. Both Marines and Soldiers had to become very hard to survive the dangers and the basic living/fighting conditions in the PTO.

Both Marines and Soldiers had to become very hard to survive the dangers and the basic living/fighting conditions in the PTO.
Right. I never met my great uncle, but my father told me some of the stories he was told, and it was amazing what they went through. It was a miracle that they weren't all killed. It's also no wonder that many of them came home and became heavy drinkers. My father and I were watching "the Pacific", when after the war, Sledge asks his friend "What are we doing here?". That almost made my father cry, because my great uncle had asked the exact same question about 6 months after the war ended.

Back