• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

paypal

wolfpaw518

Marksman
E mail just notifed me that someone "overseas" was trying to get into my paypal acct..and I needed to reenter all info....WHAT THE F#$%? closed out all and went to the Paypal website...It's them, had to change all codes.

Why post here?

The ONLY over seas webbing I did was for 1/6 stuff!

...watch yer six...

neil.

Please tell me that you did not go into the Paypal website via a link contained in the email you describe!? This sounds like a classic phishing attempt.

Aferm...closed out of mail and went to paypal.com (fresh), to confirm. Went back and deleated all emails. Checked bank acct., all OK so far!

This is one of the standard scams.

PayPal will always address you by your name so if you ever get anything addressed to "PayPal Member" etc. it's a scam and should be reporded to PayPal security.

Brandon

all you have to do is forward the email to spoof@paypal.com and if indeed it is a scam (usually is) they will tell you. It happens alot with ebay too , claims of unauthorised attempts at your account etc... good luck and never just give em' the info. p.s. ebay is spoof@ebay.com

I got several of this type of message in the last week. A couple from Pay Pal, couple from Ebay, one from Master Card and one from some bank I never heard of. The Pay Pal and Ebay one were the usual. The Master Card one almost got me until I realized I really don't have a Master Card but a debit card thru my bank and they would have sent me a notice not MC. The bank one was strange they seemed to have a lot of my info address & phone# they claimed to have cash in the bank that belongs to me on an old account and wanted me to verify my SS# with their records. Seeing that I never lived in that part of the country I figure it was bull. I always report them to whoever they claim to be from and I never use the link in any emails. The one like the banks I send to the feds. I also report the Emails as SPAM so they get blocked.

I know I am somewhat of "The New Guy" to these parts, but experience with PayPal and online purchasing is something I have in droves.

With PayPal the following is the best way to do buisness with them.

1) If you have to link a bank acct to the PayPal account, then open a new account at a different bank from your main bank. If your main bank is Scotiabank open an accout and TD, etc.... If there is ever a problem in the future at least the lions share of your funds in your main bank acct will be accessable to pay the mortgage, bills etc... Don't get caught with your pants down.

2) If you have to link a Credit Card to PayPal like most of us do, then get a separate credit card. PayPal is frought with problems when it comes to CC transactions. Research the marketlace and find a good credit card that offers good online protection, some of them even offer insurance for shipping in the CC annual fee. Look into it. Our bretherin in the USA have more options avaliable to them with CC's but Canadians can have good card too. Myself, I have a CC linked to PayPal with a very small limit. That way if they try to back-charge my card, or if I get into a dispute it doesn't hurt as much. Key is watch out for the PayPal charge-back scam. This can happen to you as a seller, and your CC company if it does not have good protection may make you jump through all sorts of hoops.

Yes this is a bit overkill, but after reading some of the blogs out there and listening to people's experiences on other forums I have been on I choose to aire on the side of caution and learn from other's mistakes.

Don't get caught with your pants down. In this case an ounce of prevention is worth a Pound of Cure. Always make sure you are shipping or dealing with a verified member. Read PayPal's guidelines, etc... They can really stick it to you at times if you don't cover your 6.

-Shane

I can vouch for what General Specific said, it sounds like overkill but if you use paypal or ebay alot it is best to cover yourself to the best of your ability.

vehicl e

Back