• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

Filler for styrene?

gary1930

Company Commander
What do you use to fill cracks, etc, in styrene models? Tried Bondo and it doesn't stick.
Thanks

Gary, I used thick Zap-a-gap then shoot it with Kicker. Then I sand it to where I want it.

Well, I couldnt find any Zap-a-gap nearby, so I mail ordered some. In the meantime, I have tried Bondo, Vette panel adhesive, super glue mixed with cabosil, and JB Weld. None of them worked well.

I use auto body scratch filler. It comes in a tube and is available at any store that carries bondo. It single part ( no mixing), is easy to work with, and it adheres well. Best of all, it's 3 bucks and a tube will last long enough to do several projects. It is not suitable for filling large gaps (1/8" or larger)

I use both Squadron Green putty and Testors Red putty* both work fine the green is better for small scratches and seams the red is a little better for larger seams. I am surprised auto body filler didn't work. I have used it for a lot of different stuff including filling a crack in concrete, that even hydraulic cement kept falling out of. An old trick I learned from some old time modelers, is to sand some styrene and mix the dust with liquid cement until you get a paste it works pretty well! What ever I use for fill, I like it to be easily sanded some stuff is a pain to sand.

* Testors Red is basically the same stuff Earl uses (Auto body spot putty)

johnro6659";p="17112 said:
I use both Squadron Green putty and Testors Red putty* both work fine the green is better for small scratches and seams the red is a little better for larger seams. I am surprised auto body filler didn't work.

The red auto body putty is working fine for scratches.
Bondo seemed to work fine, but I could get under the patch with a knife and lift the whole piece off.
I'm now playing with Permatex Liquid Metal Filler. It’s an acetone-based filler that comes in a tube. Dries quickly and files and sands nicely. It was a snap to fill the holes in the 250 headlights. I just squeezed a bit into the holes straight from the tube, then finished them off after about an hour.

I used to take left over "sprue" from models, then cut the sprue into 1/8th length sections and place them into a baby food jar or similar sized jar. Fill the jar about half way then pour either Testors liquid cement or ProWeld liquid cement over the plastic bits till you just cover them. Leave it sit for a few days till all the spue bits have melted into a thick paste. It bonds perfectly to styrene and you can make this filler many colors depending on the color of the plastic sprues.

I'm with Pz West on this one.....and it will work on teh DML figures, too...fill those joint up!

Back