• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

canadians at dieppe

jock2

Marksman
hello am looking for some help with what the canadian troops wore during the dieppe raid have 3 queries i need answers too
1/webbing was it blancoed ,as most brit webbing was ,or left in the canadian ochre colour
2/were gas mask bags worn on the chest
3/were entrenching tools and anti gas capes carried
the only ref work i have on the actual raid are artists drawings they show only basic ammount off equipment worn ,so thot i would ask here any help would be grateful
cheers jock2

Two of the cdn units at Dieppe were The Royal Regiment of Canada(the Royals) and the Royal Hamilton Light Infantry(RHLI's)

While not definitive, I can say the following:

1. Blanco was used by Canadian troops, with the color dictated by the Regiment HQ. Good luck in sorting that out. One color was the same shade as raw webbing so there is an easy out.

2. No gas masks evident in photos and one authority says they weren't worn.

3. No gas masks = no gas capes.

4. Period photos don't "seem" to show the entrenching tool being worn but you likely have some leeway here.

Rifle ammunition was carried in standard SMLE bandoleers.

HTH,
Ron V

Back