• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

Any good books on the Italian campaign?

cutiger83

Marksman
I am not sure if this is the right place to ask. I enjoy reading first person accounts of WWII. I read one about a nurse who served in North Africa and Italy. The part about the Italian campaign made me want to read more from the soldiers point of view. Are there any good first person books about the campaign in Italy? Thanks for any help....Kat

I recomend reading "And No Birds Sang" by Farley Mowat. It is his personal account from the time he enlisted through his time in the Italian campagne with the Hastings & Prince Edward Regiment. He describes the battles with vivid detail, the horror of it, and the humor as well. It is a true factual account, and excellent reading. It is a book that you will read and read and read again getting more and more out of it with every read. And if you enjoy that book of his then I recomend reading another book by him called "The Regiment". It documents the history of the Hastings & Prince Edward Regiment from the time of mobilization in 1939 till the end of the war. Goes from Dunkirk to the liberation of Holland. Another true factual account of the war. I highly recomend both books.... Harold ex Mcpl Hasty-P

I've read Mowat's book and its an excellent view of the personal war in Italy. From the blazing July summer near Mt. Etna to the freezing rain swept olive groves outside Ortona the book is packed with with great perspective and even a story about enocunters with the Italian resistence.
Farley also wrote a book about his Regiment, the Hasty Pee's.

The main book I would suggest from the American point of view is Bill Mauldin's Up Front.
Bill Mauldin served in the 45th and was in Italy for most of the war including during the writing of the book while his unit was in France.
The boo tackles almost every aspect of life in the front liens of the Italian campaign.

Ernie Pyle's Brave Men is also another excellent study of war in the Italian Mountains.

Other primary books on the campaign are:
Monte Cassino - Matthew Parker (a must! full of first hand accounts along with battle details.)
Anzio - Lloyd Clark
The Battle for Rome - Robert Katz
Calculated Risk - Mark Clark's memoirs (commander of U.S. 5th Army later 12th Army Group)
Albert Kesslring's memoirs
The Rock of Anzio - Flint Whitlock (story of 45th Division)

Pzrwest and Drummerboy,

Thanks a bunch for the recommendations. I will definitely check out all of these books. These books sound like exactly what I am looking for. Thanks again....Kat

Grüß Di' Kat,

Here are a few from my bookshelves:

THE BLACK DEVIL BRIGADE: The True Story of the First Special Service Force. (1st. SSF) - Joseph A. Springer

SEE NAPLES AND DIE: A Ski Trooper's World War II Memoir (10th Mt. Div.) - Robert B. Ellis

THE LAST RIDGE: The Epic Story of the U.S. Army's 10th Mountain Division and the Assault on Hitler's Europe - McKay Jenkins

ICE CRUSADERS: A Memoir of Cold War and Cold Sport - Tom Wolf

GOOD TIMES AND BAD TIMES: A History of C Company, 85th Mountain Infantery Regiment, 10th Mountain Division, July 1943 to November 1945 - John Imbrie and Hugh W. Evans

MOUNTAIN TROOPERS: History of the Tenth Mountain Division - Curtis W. Casewit

MOUNTAIN TROOPS AND MEDICS: Wartime Stories of a Frontline Surgeon in the U.S. Ski Troops - Albert H. Meinke Jr., MD

WHEN THE SNOW COMES, THEY WILL TAKE YOU AWAY - Eric Newby

SOLDIERS ON SKIS: A Pictorial Memoir of the 10th Mountain Division - Bob Bishop and Flint Whitlock

"Climb to Victory"

Patrick

Heeresbergfuhrer,

Thanks so much for the great suggestions. I have been wanting to read some books about the mountain troops. I will definitely check those out.....Kat

Back