• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

Adding Articulation/movement to Tony Barton Head sculpts

Mohawk03

Marksman
I know many of us appreciate and use Tony's head sculpts (HS) and recently
I developed a simple (somewhat!?) technique for adding some articulation to them.

For the longest time I was removing the lower neck sculpture and mounting the HS on a DML neck post and then I started using Apoxie Sculpt to hide the seam.

8d535a9af7083144cc167d9e060cd332d016e84.jpg
c47354baf1d93de8ce1a71330f0215b2c64b2ce.JPG

(Photos above show mounting to DML neck post, second photo shows use of Apoxie sculpt to hide the seam)

My desire was to have some articulation to Tony’s HS, I think we have all seen where a simple tilt of the head can add a degree of realism to a project. While satisfactory to a degree I was removing some of the sculpture Tony provides in the neck and upper chest area and removing a degree of realism in that aspect. I came up with a good mix of both. I came across a hobby ball and socket product made by HLJ (Hobby Line Japan) used by modelers in Asia for their various figures. their link is;
Home Page | HobbyLink Japan
It can be difficult to search through so in the "search" box they offer type in "ball joint", another page comes up, select "Scratch Building Materials".

They are easy to work with and deliver fast.

Anyway the sets I have been using are the "Big Size Ball Joint", they come in grey or clear. They are extremely durable and the size works great with Tony’s HS.

c52159f73ec3720bd56b7938134078af52d20f6.JPG

0c82522fd1319c437b102367f7f6c823f5dca14.jpg

The technique is kept simple, Tony has done most of the work in sculpting the HS itself. A few simple modifications to the HS and body of choice are required. The technique here is the easiest to consistently duplicate with reliable results but you may alter to suit your needs.

Materials required:
• HLJ Ball and Socket set
• Drill and Drill bits 7/64th and/or 3/32 bit
• Dremel and Dremel high speed cutting bit
• Fine or medium point marker (Sharpie)
• Pliers (regular and needle nose)
• Bar clamp
• X-ACTO knife
• Fine sand paper
• Steel wool
• Super glue
• Spare bits from Sideshow, DML, etc.

I recommend using an UNPAINTED HS when you first attempt this to save you grief. I have “retro-fitted” a couple that I had painted and the tension was unbearable.
The first step is to carefully drill a 7/64 hole in the neck opening in the HS. NOTE: I measure the length of the socket stem and mark the drill bit with a piece of tape indicating the proper depth. This avoids drilling too deep.
The size hole is just right and provides a good friction grip on the socket stem. If the stem is a little loose feel free to glue into place. Set the head aside for now.

dea352f1f45630bbce8a7ee60f43dc6fd010cfd.jpg

HS fitted with HLJ Socket

Next we modify our body of choice, here I am using a DML neo body but am using a DML slim chest. The technique works the same with a regular DML chest. I have NOT done this with the latest DML neo-3 but have done this with Sideshow and Hot Toys bodies.

First take the bar clamp and “crack the chest”. Place the bar clamp on the chest, both sides of the clamp along the seams and squeeze until you hear and audible “pop”. Remove the bar clamp and you should then be able to pry the chest apart with your fingers. If not, turn the chest (with the bar clamp off) so it is sideways on the abdomen and turn upside down. You should see a slot in the chest area. Insert the tip of the needle nose pliers in there and pull the jaws OPEN. Now when I do this the chest “explodes” so work in a clear area so you can readily find all the parts!

7f1158f537c77d02934798fd1e8d17dba86a9a5.jpg

7c13523df8d53bfbc15171b30670400924d6b1c.JPG

With the chest portion in hand mark the areas to remove. How much you remove is up to you, just be sure to provide clearance for the HS. Remove the marked areas carefully with the Dremel and cutting bit. Set the chest portion aside for now.

Remove the abdomen portion with the neck post still attached from the lower torso, it should slide off by sliding it to the left (as if you were “face to face” with the wee man). It takes some practice but is easily mastered.
With your regular pair of pliers carefully break of the DML ball joint portion of the neck post. Remove the odd bits and set aside for possible later use. Take and mark the center of the remaining neck post stem.
The reason I suggest removing the abdomen from the lower torso is when you drill you will want as much control of this portion as you can get. I use a cordless drill and I set the bottom on a flat surface and drill in a fashion that is similar to using a lathe. This is where you’ll use the 7/64th drill bit. The hole is just big enough for the base of the ball stem, providing a good friction hold.

Carefully drill your hole for the ball portion of the joint assembly. NOTE: Before I drill I mark my drill bit with a piece of tape showing how deep I need to go based on the length of the ball stem. Drilling the neck post stem is probably the most nerve-wracking part of this operation.
After drilled to the desired depth, clean out the hole. Insert the ball joint, partially reassemble the chest to the abdomen and see how the head sets, fine tune as necessary. You may have to shorten the neck post stem a bit.

831154f632c57107bf9b58c17e38170654053d9.jpg

Conduct the final assembly after all is to your liking, this is where I use the “Super Glue” to hold the chest halves together. Check your work, sand off any drips of glue and go over the areas with steel wool.
Pop the head on and voila.

cde25c5f22331cd4715014e619fc910f8c63e28.JPG

No #23 (I had a couple!) mounted

41e25daf5b33cc8e7e5071a36aff9dff71de3b4.JPG

cb0156f130ca7a0322c86ab574708328dedcb8b.JPG

My "pioneer", No# 27, showing the range of motion achieved. He was my first to be fitted and I was a wreck while drilling the hole for the socket.

97935246f10f3bf1c1a67be40ec04f4bb941479.jpg
2543512bf9a53a07c31b7ed3015ac0873fc3d60.JPG

No #27 wearing a sweater to illustrate the articulation and the fact you hide the neck-chest area with clothing rather handily and No# 16 showing a figure with all the uniform to illustrate the same
bee35901fb1335c1c90f72bc008e14d724db0e5.JPG

No #24 mounted to a "Hot Toys" body, mods are similar but easier as the body is held together with screws

Most of Tony’s HS are uniform in his sculpting, some of his HS don’t have that deep an opening in the neck portion. Some additional modification to the ball portion and neck post stem will be necessary. This is where your odd bits from different manufacturers come in handy.

If you must shorten the neck post stem to the point where you can’t possibly drill out a 7/64th hole for the ball stem-don’t despair. Take an X-Acto knife and remove the stem from the ball. I replace the stem with a screw from Sideshow Toys, the screw I use is from either the arms or neck posts. I carefully drill a 3/32nd size hole into the ball where the stem was. I screw in the Sideshow body screw and nip off the end. I then drill a 3/32nd size hole into the neck post stem. The ball screws neatly into the hole.

aa535521fca73675c81372240fa942f1434c3db.JPG

Ball portion with stem removed and fitted with a small screw

9c3153f73fcd7303fe22e95289c44ee67269f63.JPG

DML abdomen/neck post section- the neck post was shortened past the point where drilling a 7/64 size hole was not feasible, it has been drilled to take the modified ball portion

0832526fb7307c7973206f9b6766e0cf1b1edb4.JPG

Here is the final version, the small disks seen below the ball joint are from the DML neck post and I used them to act as "brakes" so the HS doesn't go too far and scrape against the chest portion

If you don’t have any Sideshow parts other sources I have thought of are small screws from tea or coffee cup hooks. The sources are out there, I just happen to have plenty of “spare parts” in my inventory.

In addition to providing a degree of articulation there are some other benefits. I have outfitted my dowels with ball joints to hold the heads while painting.

b8e15cf938c47f01123010d35e95b0de85777aa.JPG

Here is No #23 showing how handy it can be to mount a ball portion onto a dowel and have it secure the head while painting

47215cf13cc9780746d59d0cf74e920ff8016a6.JPG

Here is No #65 modified for mounting, I reduced the neck and chest portion to fit onto a body, he has a socket mounted already and is all set to be painted.

I hope this helps by adding another tool/technique to your tool-box. If there are any bits unclear, please let me know and I will do my best to clarify. Thank you for looking and to the kind moderator for allowing me to go over the normal limit of photos.

A big thank you to Tony for making these gems available to us, I hope I have done well by him in this project.

With the wide "deployment" of the "Hot Toys" figures I wanted to briefly show that the technique above can be used with the latest body types out there. No major changes, the principles remain the same. Some modifications to the Tony Barton head sculpt and the Hot Toys body are required (for this figure I used Head Sculpt #61 and the body is the Hot Toys "True Type- narrow shoulder" figure TTM-18).
fc5352f1f21a305ac2b9765f0f1c3fe1a1d768a.JPG

258151f038ce700d3b1b6696047d1e98dd7e4f3.JPG

9ed359f1f9283ca0c41a741c0a41cc5187d2c7a.JPG

A comparison of the two, mounting the ball section was very easy with this one as seen here. This is one of the rare occasions where I didn't have to do a lot to get it to work. This one was the "exception to the rule". I have figures where I had to make a neck post using the odd parts in my bin. I cannot stress enough that you should be prepared to squirrel away the odd bits for this occasion. Particularly useful are the older "Sideshow" bodies.

You can also see in comparison where I had to remove portions of the chest and shoulders to allow room for the head sculpt.

While I am not a big fan of these body types, I use them. I do like the fact that they can be readily taken apart with a small screw-driver when you need to modify them. The black ring seen around the ball portion is the adhesive I used in securing it to the existing neck post.

My next experiment is going to utilize this technique with the "Soldier Story" type body for those interested. Thanks for looking.

Back