• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

29th Infantry Division throughout ww2

PFC 91

Marksman
Hi, was just wondering if anyone knew a good website with detailed information on the 29th ID during ww2, not just in Normandy, but afterwords as well, pictures would also be great.
Thanks for looking/PFC 91

I interned with Joe and can tell you know one has a greater grasp on the 29th in WWII than him. He is also the leading American historian on the D-Day landings. He put Normandy on the map long before the script for SPR was even contemplated. Read Beyond the Beachead for the Normandy campaign. He is currently working on series of books to chronicle the history of the division and his next work focuses on the campaign for Brest and Northern France.

After the battle of St. Lo the blue and grey continued to fight to catch retreating German troops fleeing to the south and west of France. I
The division helped eliminate the German 2nd Parachute Division holding the harbor in August-September '44. They were then sent for rest in bivouaced camps in the region where command was preparing to send them to Germany. They arrived in Maastricht Holland in and hled the Siegfired Line during the Battle of the Bulge. After breaking through the Line and fighting a series of fierce engagements, they entered the Roer River Valley area and fought hard in the Rhineland campaign where they met the Russians in May. Here's some quick stuff I found.

www.29thdivision.com
http://www.29thdivisionassociation.org/

Also read "The Bedford Boys" by Alex Kershaw for an indepth look on those unfortunate to belong to the first wave on D-Day. Of 31 men from Bedford, VA, 19 were dead by the end of D-Day, the highest proportionate loss sustained by a town in the US.

Those men were A Company of the 116th Rgt.

The 29th's three regiments were the 115th (Western Maryland)
116th (Virgina)
175th (Baltimore Maryland)

Tank you so much for the information, great stuff, anyway, while i'm at it heres another small question, witch of the three regiments went in with the second wave at Omaha beach on d-day (i am writing a story about a squad of the second wave).
Again, thank's alot

Sorry I missed this post but I'll answer right now. The 111th Field Artilery Btn and 115th Rgt landed at 1000hrs with heavy artillery resistence and some hevy MG fire in some places. At that point, the men were attemping to take the beachead and push into Vierville.

Back